Last modified: 2002-08-22 by
Keywords: spisska nova ves |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
Spišská Nová Ves is the cultural, administrative and business center of the Spiš region. The town arose on the West-East Trade Route from the villages of Iglov and of Villa Nova. The first written reference to the town is from the year 1268. The town was a member of the Spiš Sasi Community and it was for 360 years in a pledge by the Polish King. It was the seat of the province of the 16 Spiš Towns and an important industrial and business center as well as the center of crafts (esp. church bells were produced here), the mining and metallurgical industry.
Jarig Bakker, 30 Dec 2000