Last modified: 2002-12-20 by
Keywords: velky meder |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
Veľký Meder was named Calovo from 1948 till 1990. In Hungarian: Nagymegyer from the name of one of the Hungarian Tribes (Megyer). The Megyer Tribe was the tribe of the Arpad House. This town has 9.247 inhabitants (87% Hungarian; 1990 census). The village was in the Komárom (in Slovakian Komárno) County of the Kingdom of Hungary to 1919/1920 (Czechoslovakian occupation / Treaty of Trianon). 1920-1938 part of Czechoslovakia, 1938-1944 part of Hungary, after the Decision of Vienna. The Treaty of Paris (1947) reallocateded it to Czechoslovakia.
István Molnár, 19 Jun 2000