Last modified: 2004-12-22 by
Keywords: richmond | kentucky |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Dov Gutterman
Richmond's flag is the city seal in gold on dark blue back ground. A green-on-white version of the seal can be seen at www.richmond.ky.us.
From the city website:
Richmond was founded in 1798 by Colonel John Miller, a Revolutionary War Soldier. In 1798, the Kentucky Legislature authorized the moving of the Madison County seat from nearby Milford to land owned by Colonel Miller. The move was bitterly opposed by about 300 residents of the Milford area and a fight to retain the seat resulted between Dave Kennedy, who represented the Milford location, and William Kearly, who represented the new site. Although history does not record the results of the brawl, the county approved the move in March of 1798 and two acres of land were purchased from Colonel Miller. Court was held in his barn. On July 4, 1798, the site was officially named Richmond in honor of Miller's birthplace, Richmond, Virginia.
Dov Gutterman, 3 November 2002