mostbet
This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Samoa - Historical flags

Independent State of Samoa, Malo Sa'oloto Tuto'atasi o Samoa

Last modified: 2005-04-09 by
Keywords: samoa | southern cross | star (4) | star(5) | palm tree |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



See also:


1948 flag

[ 1948 Samoa flag ]
by Ivan Sache


Erroneous 1948 flag as occasionally depicted (all stars of equal size)

[ Erroneous 1948 version of the Samoan flag ]
by Ivan Sache

Samoa adopted a flag like today on 26 May 1948, but only with four stars (like New Zealand). The fifth star was added on 24 February 1949. In 1962 Samoa gained its independence.
Mark Sensen, 5 December 1995


From: http://www.samoa.net/invest/infoonsamoa.htm [broken link]

Flag: The Flag has a red field with a blue canton in the upper left- hand corner. Five white stars on the canton symbolize the Southern Cross constellation. The red, white, and blue colours stand for loyalty, purity, and patriotism. Adopted in 1962.

Dov Gutterman, 1 April 1999

The West Samoan flag was adopted 24 February 1949, when the previous design with only four stars was modified. The previous design was adopted 26 May 1948. 1962 was the year of independence under the diarchy (1963 monarchy).
Jaume Ollé, 5 April 1999


Colonial Flags

Defaced Blue Ensign

[ Blue Ensign of Samoa ]
by Martin Grieve, 16 January 2003

Defaced Red Ensign

[ Red Ensign of Samoa ]
by Martin Grieve, 16 January 2003

Defaced Union Jack

[ Defaced Union Jack ]
by Martin Grieve, 16 January 2003

The former German islands of Samoa were seized and occupied by New Zealand forces on 29 August 1914. On 7 May 1919 the Supreme War Council of the Allies allocated the islands under mandate to New Zealand. An Order in Council passed by the Governor-General of New Zealand on 1 May 1920 provided for civil administration of the islands, and the mandate was approved by the League of Nations in December 1920. From this time until 1997 the islands were known as Western Samoa.

On 4 May 1921 the Government of the Dominion of New Zealand wrote to the Admiralty, requesting warrants for defaced Red and Blue Ensigns for Western Samoa, adding that, "Ensigns with three palm trees encircled, and emblazoned on the fly had been used, by officials, and by the public, since the British Military Occupation." The defaced Blue Ensign was used on land, and the defaced Red Ensign at sea. The badge may perhaps have been inspired by the single palm tree badge used on the Federal Flag of the Cook Islands, from 1892, until they were annexed by New Zealand in 1901.

It was not clear whether a Mandated Territory was entitled to defaced ensigns, or whether the Administrator of Samoa was entitled to a defaced Union Jack, as if he were a British Governor. It was pointed out that if a defacement for Western Samoa was not authorised, on the grounds that the Samoans were not legally entitled to one, they would use the New Zealand flag, which was a defaced Red Ensign anyway. On 30 March 1922 the Admiralty informed the Colonial Office that they were prepared to issue a warrant for a defaced Red Ensign if the Secretary of State for the Colonies considered it more appropriate than an undefaced Red Ensign. This was approved 30 July 1922 though the warrant for the Samoan Red Ensign was, for some reason, not issued until 16 January 1925. This may have been to do with the wording of the warrant. In Protectorates the usual wording was, "vessels owned by natives of the .... Protectorate." The Warrant was eventually issued as, " ... three palm trees proper .... for vessels belonging to the inhabitants of the Islands of Western Samoa."

In December 1946 the General Assembly of the United Nations approved the Trusteeship Agreement under which New Zealand formally committed itself to promote development towards self-government in Western Samoa. The first step was the passing of the Samoa Amendment Act 1947, one part of which changed the office of Administrator to High Commissioner. It seems that the High Commissioner continued to use the Administrators defaced Union Jack, even though it was not in accordance with the new status of the territory. It was reported that it was flown by him on board HMNZS Hawea at Apia on 2 March 1948, and possibly continued in use until independence in 1962.

According to a letter from the Colonial Office to the Admiralty the four star Western Samoa flag that replaced the Red and Blue Ensigns was not approved until 9 September 1948. Details of the five star flag that replaced it were published in the New Zealand Gazette 24 February 1949. It was approved for general use ashore in conjunction with the New Zealand Ensign, both flags to be of the same dimensions and of the same shades of red and blue. Public Record Office documents ADM 1/8625/80. ADM 1/8690/219. ADM 1/21655.

David Prothero, 16 January 2003


1858-1873 flag depicted in the Flags of Paradise Chart

[1858-1873 flag reported in the Flags of Paradise Chart]
by Ivan Sache

The "Flags of Paradise" chart shows an older flag: a red field with a white crescent and a white 5-pointed star pointing upwards. It is labeled "Samoa 1858-1873".

I find this flag rather strange. It is the only of the several flags of the chart to have a crescent, and I cannot imagine a Muslim influence in Samoa (which was under "control" of Protestant missions and Germans).
Ivan Sache, 15 July 1999

Mostbet