This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Vojvodina (Region, Yugoslavia [Serbia])
Last modified: 2003-01-03 by
Keywords: vojvodina | st. paul | lion (yellow) | deer | poplar |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | | mirrors
Presentation of Vojvodina
Region in northern Serbia which enjoyed autonomous status from 1946 to 1989. Vojvodina is situated in the southern part of the Central Danube Plain and includes some of the richest agricultural land in former Yugoslavia.
Area: 21,506 sq km
Population (1991): 2,013,889
Brief history: During the 6th century there were successive waves of immigration by Lombards, Avars, and Slavic peoples. In the late 9th century, Magyar Hungarians settled in Vojvodina and the area became part of the Kingdom of Hungary. When much of Hungary was incorporated into the Austro-Hungarian Empire, Vojvodina was included. In 1690 numerous Serbs migrated into the area from territories to the south occupied by the Ottoman Empire. Vojvodina remained under Hapsburg rule until 1918, when it was annexed to the emergent Kingdom of Serbs, Croats, and Slovenes, later Yugoslavia.
During the inter-war years, the Belgrade government sponsored the settlement of Serbs in Vojvodina, and pressured local Hungarians to emigrate. As a result the ethnic composition of the province changed. Briefly reassigned to Hungary during Second World War, Vojvodina was returned to Yugoslav rule in 1945. Became an autonomous province within the Republic of Serbia in 1946. In March 1989, Vojvodina's autonomous status was abolished. Pressure for a restoration of provincial autonomy has continued to the present day.
Source: Vojvodina Microsoft® Encarta® 98 Encyclopedia
Population there is very mixed. My 1988 Lexicon says that Vojvodina is populated with Serbs, Hungarians, Croats, Slovaks, Romanians, Germans, Ukrainians, Czechs and Ruthenians.
Uros Zizmund, 7 February 1998
Coat of arms
The Parliament of the Autonomous Province of Vojvodina in Northern Serbia adopted the coat of arms of the province on 28 June 2002.
The coat of arms shall be displayed together with the arms of Serbia, and is purely protocolar, displayed on diplomas, seals, etc.
Zikica Milosevic, 29 June 2002
Only a coat of arms was adopted. The intention was to create a working group that would look into issues of other symbols (flag, anthem) but this was not done due to procedural problems. This would mean that it shall be very likely that in near (or not so near) future there shall also be a Vojvodina flag, too.
The three fields of the new coat of arms of Vojvodina bear the coats of arms of counties, then Hungarian and Croatian, granted in 18th century:
Backa. The coat of arms of Backa (Bàcs in Hungarian) was granted by King Leopold I (1657-1705) in 1699. It was leter (1861?) retained for the united County of Bacs-Bodrig.
In blue field on a green grass standing Sent Paul wearing blue shirt and red toga with golden nimbus holding in dexter a downpointed silver sword with golden hilt and in sinister a black book (Bible). Sombor (Hungarian, Zombor) was the capital of the county.
The county was divided between Hungary nad Yugoslavia after the First World War. The part remaining in Hungary was finally incorporated into Bacs-Kiskun county, that also uses the historical coat of arms with St. Peter in its dexter half.
- Banat. The golden lion rampant on red holding a sabre is taken from the arms of Tamis Banat county. Half of the lion still appears on the arms of Timis county in Romania.
The County of Temes covered only a small part of what is considered the Banat in Vojvodina, the most part of it is the county of Torontal which had no lion in its arms.
The coat of arms of Temes was granted in 1799 by Maria Theresa, and it was inspired by the civic arms of Temesvar, the county capital. The coat of arms is per fess chief per pale, 1. Hungary Moderne (double cross), 2. per fess sable a semi lion rampant issuant or holding in dexter a scimitar argent and azure three wavy barullets argent, 3. Temesvar fort proper, overall a bar or inscribed sable II.J. M.T. (Joseph II and Maria Theresia). The three wavy lines are for three main rivers, Dunav (Duna), Tamiö (Temes) and Moravica (Moros).
Srem.The third coat of arms is that of Srem (Hungarian Szerèm; Croatian Srijem), granted in 1747 by Queen Maria Theresa. While the other two were directly under the Hungarian Crown, Srem was part of the Croatian-Slavonian Crown.
After the First World War, it remained in the newly formed Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes. When the Croatian Bannate was formed within Yugoslavia in 1939 it was also entirely part of it, and in 1941 it was part of the Axis puppet Independent State of Croatia.
After the Second World War, the borders between the Republics were designed, which are known as the AVNOJ borders. The eastern part of Srem was incorporated intoVojvodina. After the breakup of former Yugoslavia in the 1990s, the eastern part of Srem remained there.
The modern Croatian countiy of Vukovar-Srijem use the same coat of arms.
The three white stripes on blue, representing the 3 rivers of Srem: Bosut, Sava and Danube. The deer that is resting on the ground is close to the poplar (topola) green tree. The tree changed though the history. In the original grant the tree was a cypress tree. The modern Croatian design prefered it to make it an oak tree, which is abundant in the region and is a kind of a national symbol. Similarly, poplar is connected to Serbia (the royal family stems from a place named Topola).
Zeljko Heimer & Zikica Milosevic, 29 June 2002